Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Ode to a Street Musician - 2Crafty and Flying Uniocorn

2Crafty and Flying Unicorns

Jennifer Snyder here today to share a few pieces made with the April Kit. 

I love pairing a few of my favorite products - 2Crafty chipboard and Flying Unicorn kits.  This month, the April kit from Flying Unicorn is perfect to use with 2Crafty.  I decided to make a layout and a card to share this month.  The papers used are from Prima  and Studio 75.  

This is a photo I took one day during my lunch hour at work.  I brought my camera to work on a warm summer day  and walked about the City of Rochester.  To my surprise, I found this cool street musician sitting on a bench just doing his thing.  I did ask to take his photo and I imagine the tip I dropped in his box helped his enthusiasm.  

Later I found out his name was Hosea Taylor, Jr.  and he was quite a talent and fixture in the city of Rochester and community. His music will be missed this summer as he slipped away to heaven in Feb.13, 2016.  


Here is an excerpt from our local paper, Democrat and Chronicle :
Democrat and Chronicle : "There wasn't a place he went where he didn't carry his saxophone," said Warren. "He didn't do it just to entertain but it was a ministry. When people probably felt at their lowest, he would come and deliver a song."
He had roots in Pittsburgh, and his father, Hosea Taylor Sr., was also a renowned saxophonist. Taylor Jr. showed up in Rochester in the 1970s and got involved with community activism work, said Naimah Sierra of Action for a Better Community.
“The reason he got into music was because he was trying to teach young people that there was an art they could dedicate themselves to,” she said. Taylor could play numerous instruments, and decided to use his music to influence kids to aim high, said Sierra.
              He offered free music lessons, and had a hand in starting a band that would play for parades                 and other events in the southwest neighborhoods, said James Norman, President and CEO at Action for a Better Community.

Here is a sweet little clip about Mr. Taylor, his life and his passion:

Hosea Taylor Jr. from Mighty Productive on Vimeo.

Back to my pieces...

You can find a great assortment of  2Crafty chipboard at the Flying Unicorn store.    I used the following 2Crafty chipboard pieces on my layout:
"Elements Set1",  "Juliet's Frame", and "Stars".   While I do not have a complete step-by-step, I have a few of the basics that I did to create this layout. 

Tip 1. I cut a circle from Prima Vintage Emporium Paper - Florence misted and inked it.  I only wanted the circle with the music notes to have accent colors - which is why I cut it from the paper.  I painted the mists onto the circle with a paint brush.  



Tip 2. The chipboard stars were covered in gold vintage embossing powder.  The frame was only inked to create accenting. 
Tip 3.   I used the cool new Prima IOD Vintage Art Decor Moulds -Baroque #2 and #6 and Prima Paper Clay to create these cool moulds.  The when dry, I simply rubbed with Walnut Stain distress ink.  So easy!

Tip 4.  These are my base layers for the layout - which came in the April kit.  I cut out the centers of the paper so I can use them later.  I hate to waste pretty paper when it's simply going to get covered by a top layer of paper.  

Layer two: cream cardstock
Layer three:  Studio75 Secret Garden collection papers #04
See how cool the mould is as a focal accent?



The next few images show the dimension of the layout, made by using layers of cardboard. 


This close up shows the small star chipboard piece used to hold the corner of the paper.  


I wanted to create a delicate card this month.  I also used the Flying Unicorns kit for April to create the card.  The papers are from Studio75.  


This card uses the 2Crafty chipboard pieces and I left them natural - no treatments but I did use a few delicate pearls as accent pieces.  
"Viney Circle Frame" and "Mini Branches"


Thanks for visiting.  

Layout Products:
Flying Unicorns April Kit
Studio75 Secret Garden collection papers
2Crafty Chipboard on layout:"Elements Set1", "Juliet's Frame", and "Stars"
Prima Color Bloom Cotton Candy and Lime Wedge
Prima Tales of You & Me Flowers 586287
Prima IOD Paper Clay
Micro Beads- gold
Prima IOD Vintage Art Decor Moulds -Baroque #2 and #6
Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Walnut Stain
Stampendous Vintage Ivory Embossing Powder

Card Products:
2Crafty Chipboard on card: "Viney Circle Frame" and "Mini Branches"Studio75 Secret Garden collection papers 6x6 pad from the kit
Kaisercraft Flowers - White
Pearls
Seam binding



2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a wonderful story about a man who certainly lived life to its fullest. Thanks, Jen, for sharing and scrapping this.
    And thanks for the tutorial!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jennifer, what a beautiful page and an inspiring story about Mr. Taylor - he shared his life and music. And, your card is lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete